Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thanks Mates!

Thanks for the advice - knew I could count on you! I ended up shlepping a BY friend to my house to approve the outfit before heading out. I wore a black skirt (the only one I own but I didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb) and a nice sweater that was NOT black, ran an iron through my hair (something I rarely do - I usually wear my hair wavy/curly), put on a full face of makeup, and off I went hoping all was fine. Turns out my attire was perfect, except (gasp) for the fact that I did not wear heels. Oh well, can't win em all right?

As far as the vort - is a nice Shabbos suit okay or do I have to be more weddingy? (Based on the lechaim which was in her house I'm assuming the vort is going to be quite a fancy affair). My sister, who lives out of town and never has to dress up to the 'New York standards' wanted to know if she should go shopping for some new clothes.

I guess I shouldn't be so focused on what I'm gonna wear but what can I do, everyone's gonna be looking at me! (Just wait till they hear I'm Lubavitch, I can almost hear the sighs - "Too bad, I had such a nice boy in mind for her"). Can I dare to ask how you can have such a nice boy in mind for me when you have no idea what I'm like and you don't know my name? Maybe I should hand out business cards or something.

6 comments:

halfshared said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss Teacher said...

Thanks for the advice - I guess we just dress way down around here. I don't even wear shabbos clothes to my friend's lechaims (vorts) just nice (on the dressy side) weekday clothes.

I find it interesting how we (coming from such different communities and backrounds) can be so alike and yet so different at the same time.

halfshared said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

lol..nice post!

Miss Teacher said...

halfshared - I'm used to funny questions don't worry about it! The truth is that my hair is wavy to begin with, but what I basically do is: after the shower I towel dry my hair and I don't brush it, then I turn my head upside (so that my hair is hanging in front of my face) and fill my palm with mousse (not too much and not too little) and apply it to my hair while cruching my hair in sections all around my head. I usually pull it back while the mousse is still fresh in my hair because once it dries the hair hardens and it's hard to style. Sounds more complicated than it is, it really takes me less than 5 minutes (as opposed to 45-hour with the blow dryer and/or straightener!)

stephanie - thanks and welcome!

halfshared said...

Oh wow sounds a lot easier than the way I do my hair. Well I guess I'll have to try it one night when everyone disappears..lol don't tell. Thanks for the explanation!