Sunday, September 9, 2007

Everyone Must've Been Staring

I broke a rule. Not just any rule - a cardinal rule.

My apartment took a direct hit from the construction that has been going on in this house, leaving us without hot water for a full week. By the time I finally got used to taking freezing cold showers the water stopped working all together. So, in good cheer I set about searching for a shower. I called a friend of mine who I knew had a family simcha, and wouldn't be home for a few hours, and I asked her if I could please use her shower. She was happy to help and off I went to enjoy a nice, hot shower for the first time in a week.

On the way back home I broke a rule. The rule that says "If thou is 'of age' thou shall not dare ever be seen in public looking anything but perfect. Thou must always be immaculately dressed with perfect hair and flawless makeup, regardless of the time of day or year (especially if it's the third day of a three day yom tov). Disregard to the strict adherence of this rule may result in the ruination of thy next shidduch, and possible all shidduchim thereafter."

It was 10:00 pm, and I had just taken a shower. I wasn't about to pull out the blow dryer and hair iron and proceed to spend 45 minutes on my hair, and then walk home all smiles because every shadchan would see me and whisper to her neighbor "now that looks like a good catch - 10 at night and she looks like she's dressed for a wedding... oh good point, maybe she is going to a wedding. Who's getting married tonight? But she's walking in the wrong direction, the wedding hall is that way... well maybe she's going somewhere else, a lechaim maybe? Did anyone get engaged recently? Yes, yes, so and so's daughter to so and so's son. It's a wonder that girl managed to find a shidduch, I mean look at her parents, which proper bochur would want to marry into a family like that..."

Anyway, I broke the rule. I pulled my long, wet hair into a ponytail, put on a long skirt, and a zip up sweatshirt and proceeded to walk the five blocks back home. Sue me.


I found this funny. My friend's nieces and nephews were being babysat in her apartment during the time I was there. When my friend came home she told me the following "When I got home the house was a bit upside down, shoes everywhere, dirty dishes, papers, etc. and I saw a tichel on the kitchen floor. I figured they must have found my tichel and were playing with it. I asked the kids if anyone came over to use the shower, and they told me yes, and she left something here. I asked them what she left and they pointed to the tichel and told me that she left her tichel here!" We all got a good laugh. And no, I'm not leaving tichels anywhere just yet.

3 comments:

halfshared said...

lol!! Listen you just have to keep telling yourself that you will find your bashert regardless of what you looked like last night. I know that nothing will be able to stop the right one from coming along when Hashem wants it to happen so if I don't look perfect, the shadchan won't see me then or won't think anything of how I look..do I make sense? I just don't allow the pressure to get to me though I do try to look good at all times but I can't make myself crazy!

Miss Teacher said...

I agree 100%. I always try to look good, but I absolutely do not make myself crazy. I can't tell you how many times a student of mine has gotten tomato sauce, ketchup, milk, apple juice, all over me during lunch and I had to walk around school for the rest of the day like that and then walk home - in broad daylight! (And I DON'T teach preschool.) The best part of the story was my roommate's face when I walked in - she was like "you walked through the whole neighborhood like THAT??? Are you CRAZY??

LO

Anonymous said...

Whenever I see someone perfectly turned out always I can only conclude that they have no life... life leaves stains.

Good luck!