Sunday, September 16, 2007

Advice

Mazel Tov! My brother became a chosson!

Now, fellow bloggers, I am in dire need of some advice - something I know people are always willing to give.

My brother (who lives in Flatbush) is engaged to a Monsey girl. I have a severe aversion to labeling fellow Jews but for the sake of clarity here I will. I grew up Lubavitch - (sad as it sounds, I sincerely hope that stating this outright doesn't attach a negative feeling toward my name or my blog...), and she is from a very Yeshivish family. The chosson and kallah, both wonderful people, are pretty modern - leaning toward the Yeshivish rather than Chassidish way of life. In short, this simcha is a gathering a Jews from all walks and talks of life.

Now for the question. What should I wear to the 1) Lechaim and 2) Vort?? Do I have to dress up? How dressy? Do I have to look like I'm going to a wedding? In Lubavitch the 'vort' is actually called a lechaim and many times an official 'lechaim' separate from the vort does not take place. When it does it is usually only for family and very close friends and no one dresses up or anything like that. As far as the vort, I have been told that Yeshivish vorts are more elaborate and people get more dressed up than Lubavitch vorts but that is just plain old generalizing and there's no way to prove that as fact.

Basically what should I wear? Any advice?

3 comments:

halfshared said...

I generally wear a nice dressy sweater for lchaim and something fancier for vort. For my brothers vort I would probably wear something that I would wear to a friends wedding..Mazel Tov!!! And get ready for all the "iyh by you".

Scraps said...

Mazal tov! That's wonderful news!

I'll admit, I'm not really the one to ask for advice on these matters, as I seem to be chronically underdressed for these events. I'd recommend wearing maybe either your nicest Shabbos clothes or something that's a step above Shabbos but a step below wedding clothes in terms of dressiness (if you have clothing that fits that description). But again, I'm not really the person to ask.

Anonymous said...

My favorite piece of dressing advice - wear something that you'll be able to forget about once you have it on. The last thing you want to be busy with is feeling under/overdressed and uncomfortable at your brother's lchaim.

And of course, bear in mind that wherever you go and whatever you wear there will be some folks who just need to cluck and clack (walking the streets with your hair au naturel....what a horror!)

Mazel Tov and may this year continue to bring lots of mazel and bracha.