Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Light at the End of the Tunnel?

I have a student who is suffering. She is suffering physically, emotionally, and socially.

I wish I could tell her that her suffering is only temporary. I wish I could tell her that one day things will be different. But who am I to say such things? Who am I to promise her that one day her life will be joyful, that one day she will feel safe and secure? Is this really true, can I really vouch for such a promise?

All I can do is give her all my love, care, and attention. To use every ounce of my energy towards helping become proud of herself as a person, instead of embarrassed by what others have done to her.

And who knows. Maybe one day she will come to realize that she surpassed the childhood hardships that were laid heavily upon her, that she came ahead stronger, that she rose above.... Maybe there will be a light at the end of this young child's dark tunnel after all...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so sad :-( No, you can't promise her anything and I'm glad you have the wisdom to recognize that. You're amazing for giving her what you are...