Monday, October 15, 2007

I'm Tired


My entire family descended on this town for Shabbos and we had a great time together. The vort was beautiful, everyone enjoyed themselves and the chosson and kallah were beaming from ear to ear (as can be expected). Being that I'm local, throughout this weekend while my family members have been vacationing away I have had to work every day, so in between staying up late and spending time with my family I was preparing for school and teaching everyday.

The morning of the vort I went to school, taught, then raced home. I got all dressed up and off I went to Monsey. As far as the wedding, I got back from Monsey very late I pretty much convinced myself that I wasn't going to the wedding. On my way back I spoke to someone who had left the wedding 20 minutes before I spoke to her and she told me that when she left it seemed like the music would be ending soon. I was a little upset because somewhere in the back of my mind I had decided that maybe I'd make it to the wedding after all. Anyway, I decided that even though the wedding was probably over, I would stop by the hall (which is 3 blocks from my house - not such a big deal) and see if the chosson and kallah were at least still there so I could say mazal tov to her while she was wearing her wedding gown. Basically, when I walked up to the wedding hall, there were people milling around and no one gave me a backward glance that I can so late, and as I walked in, lo and behold, the music was still blasting! I walked into the wedding at midnight and I stayed there until one thirty in the morning!!! The kallah was SHOCKED to see me when I walked in (and so was everyone else, because I told everyone that I wouldn't be at the wedding lest they think that I would miss the wedding for some other reasons... ahem...).

Bottom line is mir ken nisht tantzen oif tsvay chasunos aber vu a chossid vill tantzen er vet tantzen.

12 comments:

the dreamer said...

Glad you made it to both.
It's always nice to know that you really were misameach the kallah...

And btw - I've been at two weddings in one nite, too. one in staten island and another in monsey.
and i was at the chuppah and almost two dances for one; the main dish and two full dances at the other...
and i'm not a chassid!
lol

halfshared said...

LOL wow glad you made it to both. You should always be busy with simchas. Mazel tov again!

Scraps said...

Whoa...sounds exhausting. But I'm glad you got to attend both simchas!

When do you get to nap? :)

Miss Teacher said...

dreamer - the problem wasn't going to two simchas in one night - I've done that before between lechaims (vorts) and weddings I've definitely had my share of running around town to multiple simchas in one night. The problem here was that it was my brother's vort - I couldn't exactly come late and leave early or just stop in and say mazal tov, I had to be there the whole night... B"H I made it to the wedding though!

As far as the chossid comment - it's just the saying and I am a chossid so it fit. I didn't mean to imply that only chassidim can dance at 2 weddings, I've seen it happen many times!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've seen non-chassidim dance at two weddings too. :-D

But this is great - I'm so glad you made it to both. I'm positive it meant tons to your friend.

Miss Teacher said...

Ok ok. This is the last time I make a comment about being a chossid on this blog. :)

Question - is it an accepted practice that the kallah's sheitel/s and gown be included in the wedding budget?

Scraps said...

What do you mean by "included in the budget"? That both families split the cost?

I've never heard of the chosson's side paying for the gown, but in some communities it has become customary for them to pay for the sheitel. Whether or not I agree with that practice is another story altogether...

halfshared said...

What do you mean included in the wedding budget? The girls parents usually pay for those..though my mother did give $1,000 toward one of my sis-in-laws shaitels.

Miss Teacher said...

Included in the budget meaning added to the total cost of the wedding to be split and paid for by each half.

Miss Teacher said...

Let me clarify - in my community, in my parent's community it is not at all standard procedure - shaitels are the kallah's cost. The only times I've heard that the chosson's side helped pay for the shaitel have been if the kallah could not afford it.

My parents were asked to include half the cost of the two shaitels in their half of the total wedding cost, on the basis that they asked friends what they have done and were told that all their friend's have done the same thing.

Being that in our community that is basically unheard of, my parents were unsure of what to do. Since we are marrying into another community we can't argue with their custums. That's when I jumped in and said "hold on folks, I'll find out!" and turned to my good 'ol blogging buddies!

halfshared said...

My parents were never asked to pay for the shaitels. What they did was just out of the goodness of their hearts and cuz they wanted my sister in law to be able to get a good shaitel. Are these litvish/yeshivish people? I'm surprised it is included..usually only the chassidish work like that. In the litvish world the boy pays for flop-flowers,liquor,orchestra and photography and girl pays for everything else-meaning hall, caterer and all the household items. While it is nice if the boy helps pay for other things, it shouldn't be required. Good luck working it out.

Miss Teacher said...

Generally speaking we either do the flop thing or we split the total wedding cost (things directly related to the wedding itself - not life after the party)in half and each side pays their share. In this case we are doing the 50/50 thing.

Honestly it's my parents' issue not mine, but they asked me to find out and so I did...