Saturday, February 2, 2008


The wig.

Oh what a topic of conversation this can be!

"What kind of sheitel is it? Who did you buy it from? Who cut it for you? Oh her? Is she good? I mean I know a lot of people go to her, but I've heard things... It's a Shevy? You should know that Shevys knot up, I'm just warning you, take care of it before it gets really bad... Do you mind me asking how much you paid? $$$$??? Are you serious? It's crazy! Sheitels just cost so much! What color is this? A 4? A 6? Just keep in mind that at the end of the summer it's going to be much lighter, you're gonna have to re-dye it. How many inches? 16? 14? 18? Are you planning on wearing it up or down? Personally I think that all sheitels look the same, you know side bangs, bottle curls... Are you planning on wearing it like you wear your hair? You know in six months you're not going to really care if your sheitel looks like your hair, you're just going to want it to look nice. Is it comfortable? You'll get used to it, it's like putting on glasses for the first time. Just get ready to start finding bald spots where the clips are, they really pull out your hair. This isn't your only sheitel is it?"

And then when they finally stop their thirty minute monologue to take a breath, I interject with "I really don't remember asking your opinion..."

Ok, ok, I'm not THAT rude but I do really feel like saying that sometimes.

The one thing (if only one) I've learned during this whole sheitel buying, beginning of sheitel wearing, realizing that I'm actually going to be wearing a sheitel, and just plain old sheitel business is this:

No matter how much money I spend, no matter which sheitel macher I go to, no matter how natural my sheitel looks, no matter what, when I look into the mirror I see a sheitel. Period. To everyone else it looks beautiful/natural/amazing/etc and to me? I see a wig. Sigh. This will be tough. I guess I'll get used to it, but it will be tough.

5 comments:

halfshared said...

Problems...lol. Not to minimize I totally understand that it will take adjusting to..I'd also feel weird with a shaitel on my head..but, but, but....you know...at least...

Miss Teacher said...

halfshared -

I'm not taking anything for granted! I am extremely grateful to be able to be where I am, I do not forget that for one second. I will never forget waiting and I will never ever ever stop thinking about my single friends. I will never treat them differently and I will always make a conscious effort to make time for them.

My sheitel post was written more in connection to the mitzvah of covering hair then anything else, I was not complaining.

I have a whole explenation - too long for right here, maybe I'll post about it one day

ProfK said...

Not to rain on the parade but time doesn't change how you see the sheitle. 36 years and I still see a sheitle in the mirror, not my "hair." Our Rav once gave a woman's class in which this came up and he said it's actually a positive thing. We never forget that it is not our hair that we see and we never forget why we are covering our own hair. It's why I love hats--at least they aren't supposed to make us think they are really our hair.

Anonymous said...

Your first paragraph in response to halfshared brought tears to my eyes. You'll "never ever ever stop thinking" about your single friends? You'll never treat them differently? Then why will you have to make a conscious effort? Did you have to make a conscious effort before you got engaged? It's obviously not the same. And it shouldn't be. It's just interesting how kallos make these statements. I hope for your friends' sake that you manage to pull of that delicate balance between being a wife 100% of the time and still being a friend. Good luck.

And now for the important stuff: Is that really your shaitel? It's gorgeous! [I am totally serious.] How much was it? What kind is it? ;-)

Bas~Melech said...

Yeah, I know when I get married iy"H I'll really miss my hair. Though at times I look forward to it -- instead of aching head and arms after blowing for an hour, all you have to do is pop the hair onto your head and presto! Ready to go! :-D